EMMA'S ROOT TO TIP SALAD
PREPARATION: 30min ~ COOK: 1hr ~ READY IN: 1hr 30min
1L vegetable stock
1-2 bunches of beetroot, leaves intact
200 g barley, soaked in water for 30 minutes and then drained
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp sherry vinegar
60 ml honey (or sugar)
100 ml white wine vinegar
100 ml water
100 g goats cheese
3 bunches of dutch carrots, with tops
Handful mint leaves
3 cloves of garlic
60 g parmesan cheese
100 g walnuts
Salt & pepper, to season
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
20 g extra walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Pour the stock into a clean saucepan and add the barley and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil over a medium heat. Cook for 35 minutes until the stock is almost evaporated and the barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Strain through a sieve, and pour the barley onto a large flat tray. Drizzle with 2 tbs of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat. Let cool.
- Meanwhile cut the leaves and stems from the beetroot, leaving about 2 cm from the top. Wash the leaves and stems thoroughly. Remove the leaves from the stems. Place the leaves in a bowl and set aside. Cut the stem into 3 cm pieces and set aside. Cut the leaves and stems from the carrots and keep the leaves. Wash the leaves and set aside.
- Place the beetroot and carrots into a roasting tray. Drizzle with 2 tbs of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Once cooked, remove from oven and drizzle with sherry vinegar and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Place the honey (or sugar) into a saucepan with 100ml white wine vinegar and 100ml water and bring to the boil. Once boiled, remove from the heat and place the beetroot stems into the liquid. Set aside to cool.
- To make the carrot top pesto, blend the carrot tops, mint, walnuts and parmesan in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, slowly add the remaining 60ml of the olive oil. Adjust with lemon juice. Season and set aside.
- Toast the 20g walnuts and cumin seeds and then crush in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- To serve, crumble the goats cheese onto a serving platter. Drop spoonfuls of the carrot top pesto onto the cheese. Sprinkle with a quarter of the barley.
Scatter over the beetroot leaves. Scatter the beetroot and carrots among plates, then sprinkle with the remaining barley and then the walnut and cumin seed crumb. Scatter over the beetroot stems. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt.