STEAK & MUSHROOM PIE
1 kg gravy beef, diced 3cm
1/4 cup plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 chorizo, roughly chopped
1 brown onion, diced
3 rashers bacon, diced
150 g mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
300 ml Talarni Merlo
300 ml mushroom stock, (or beef)
250 ml water
1 tbsp pickled jalapeños
3 sprigs thyme
1 sheet Borg’s Shortcrust Pastry
1 egg (egg wash)
- Add beef, flour and salt to a bowl, toss to coat. To a large pan that is on high add oil and cook beef in 2-3 batches for 2 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl, set aside.
- To the same pan add chorizo, onion, bacon, mushrooms and salt to taste. Cook until mushrooms are cooked down and reduced in size.
- To the pan add wine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add stock, water, jalapeños and thyme. Return beef to pan, cover with lid and place in the oven for 2 - 2 ½ hours or until the beef is nice and tender.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool then place in the fridge for as long as possible (overnight is best).
- Spoon cold beef mixture into a pie dish and cover with Borg’s pastry, trim edges leaving enough on sides to seal. With a knife cut a small hole in the middle, brush with egg wash. Bake in oven until pastry is golden brown.
BEN'S TIP: This can be used to make small pies as well. Using the a small spring form tin as a guide cut out 2 circles of Borg’s pastry with a little extra on the sides. Cover the base with pastry, fill tin with beef mixture, place pastry on top and crimp edges together. Cook until pastry is golden brown.