- To make the sauce, add oil, onion, garlic, achiote paste and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile into a pan that is on high heat, add the ancho chilli and pasilla chilli and cook until soft and pliable. Place into a bowl of hot water.
- Once the achiote pates has softened add thyme, oregano, bay leave, coriander seeds, cloves, stock and tomatoes into the saucepan stir and leave to reduced by ¼.
- Using the same pan as you used for chillies, add chicken crown and maryland’s skin side down and cook for 10 minutes turn and cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and carve the crown.
- Remove mole sauce from heat, to take out the bay leaves and transfer into a bowl. Add chocolate and with a stick blender and blitz until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with the sauce over the chicken and coriander to garnish.
BEN'S TIP: Breaking up a chicken, using a 1.6 kg chicken cut the maryland’s, wings from the chicken. Then break the spine off leaving the crown in one piece.